HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

So here begins my Cities of Death project, which is also going to be part of my main gaming table at Nashcon. Going to start off by re-creating the Forgeworld Realm of Battle Cityscape tiles. For those not aware of what they look like, take a gander  here.

I am using precut 2 x 2 1" insulation sheets that I picked up at Home Depot. I basically guesstimated what the "street" dimensions were on the FW tiles, as they all appeared to be the same dimensions on the different tiles, it came out to be 4" x 4" for the short street sections and 4" x 8" for the long street sections. I then plotted each tile section onto some graph paper. Using a ruler, t-square, and a magic marker, I made the lines on the tile sections. Each of the street sections on the FW tiles appear to have a groove that seperates them, so I went back over each line with my engraver tool from Hotwire Foam Factory to make the grooves.

Now to add the details such as sidewalks, rubble, and where the buildings will be placed.

Last edited by Mortis on Fri May 23, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://thed6initiative.forummotions.com
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 pm

For my Walls of Jericho scenario for Nashcon, I have to make a 6 x 12 table, with a city on one end and the rest desert, seperated by a massinve fortified wall. This is what I have to complete by the time Nashcon rolls around:

City Table
1 Primus Sector Tile
1 Concourse Sector Tile
1 Shattered Plaza Tile
1 Generatorum Sector Tile
1 Cathedral Tile
1 Launchpad Tile
Buildings for all the tiles

Desert Tables
Texture and paint the mesas I ordered from Terranscapes
Make the desert board sections

Fortified WallOrder certain bits
Build and paint the wall

Concourse sector is built and now just needs debris and rubble added. For the statue base, I made an arch with skulls mold, cast several of the arches, and applied them to the base. I'm not trying to duplicate the Forgeworld exactly, just close enough. Here's a pic with a picture of the actual Forgeworld piece in the background for comparison, plus a pic of the mold I made.

Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Got my first batch of bits and kits in today. Pegasus Hobbies Chemical Plant and some mounting skulls from Blood and Skulls Industry.

These are going on the Generatorum Sector for the most part. Now, on the actual Forgeworld tiles, there are tiny aquilas on the posts of one of the bases, as seen in the picture below.

For my board, I am designing it to match my armies, which have an undead theme to them. So instead of aquilas, I am using the tiny mounting skulls to go on the posts instead.
Back to top Go down
twodogz79
Devil Dog

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Love it. I can't wait to see the end result!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NashCon/
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks! When it's all done, you could also play some "Stalingrad" type battles on it for Bolt Action.
Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Well it is W.I.P. Wednesday, so here is the latest update. While I am waiting for different bits to arrive to finish up board sections, I have been jumping around from section to section working on different things here and there. I began work on my Cathedral Sector over the weekend. Using the Pegasus Hobbies Gothic Building sets and the the GW craters and Garden of Morr sets, here is what I have done so far.

Here is the entrance to my "Shrine of the Skull" building. It is going to be a mashup of the Shrine of the Aquila building and parts of the Fortress of Redemption.

That's all for now. More next time on W.I.P. Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
Punisher
Lord Otaku

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 am

That looks amazing!!
Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 pm

Punisher wrote:
That looks amazing!!

Thanks!

So here are new pics for W.I.P. Wednesday. The majority of the foam work is done. I need to add some cracks here and there to some parts of the different sectors. By the end of the weekend, I hope to have all the base sections finished and to have started working on the buildings.

My version of the blasted Rapier on the Concourse Sector.

Unlike the Forgeworld Primus Sector, I wanted players to be able to actually place models inside the wrecked Rhino, perhaps for infiltrators or whatever. So I removed the wrecked Rhino from the Battlescape set that I had lying around and used it on my Primus Sector.

Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 pm

So finally got all my bits in that I have ordered so far, and with those I was finally able to finish off the board sections. Some of the sections have power supplies and ammo crates, and instead of purchasing several Battlefield Accessories in order to get the required amount, I used some Alumilite Mold Putty to make some quick molds of them, as well as some craters (the small one from Armorcast).

The mold putty dries a lot faster than the RTV silicone that I normally use, and I am able to have a rubber mold ready to go in about 15 minutes rather than several hours. The only drawback is that you only have about a minute and a half of working time, and that includes the time it takes to knead the two parts of the putty together. After that time, it starts solidifying, so if you haven't gotten the putty in place on the source object, you pretty much have to start over. As these pieces were going to be placed in a warzone, I didn't need perfection on these casts, as rubble would cover up any "bad" spots and battle damage could explain the rest.

I also ordered a rotary hand sewing punch to make rivets from Ebay for about $14. This tool is nice, as it has one punch and several different size holes on a rotary dial that can make different size rivets. Basically, I marked off the placement of the rivets on one side of plasticard and used the rotary punch to make indentions through the plasticard, so that the indentions look like rivets. These I used on the pipes in the Primus Sector.

For the Cathedral section, I didn't use the base of the main gate of the Garden of Morr, and after gluing all the fence sections in place, I decided that I needed a stone walkway from the entrance gate to the cathedral entrance. So, looking at the base for the GoM gate, I decided that with some filing down of the tomb stones and using some green stuff, I could make use of it after all and use it as the stone walkway.

I also discovered that having the Garden of Morr statue of death beside the cathedral entrance wouldn't prevent me from placing the Space Marine statue from the Honored Imperium set there as well. The base of the SM statue is hollow and fits over the base of the Garden of Morr statue, so I can swap them out depending on the scenario. I am going to place some magnets in both the statue base and the death statue so that they won't fall over during a game.

I have also managed to get the first building built (other than the cathedral). This will be going on the Generatorum Sector. I am going to make a staircase that leads from the first floor up to the second floor, and that is what the large opening in the middle of the second floor is there for. I plan on using this building as a battle damaged building in most games, with the top counting as battlements.

And now, here are the pics of the completed board sections. I really need to get some paint on these, as I am using gray cat litter as rubble and also some brown cork "boulders" mixed in here and there. At first glance, with the brown cork mixed in with the gray litter, it looks as if one of my cats has mistaken my city table for their litter box. lol.

Primus Sector

Shattered Plaza

Generatorum Sector

Concourse Sector

Cathedral Sector

This last section is going to be incorporating the Skyshield Landing Pad and possibly a crane. Haven't settled on a final design for it yet, but I am thinking of having a walkway leading from the landing pad to a building.

Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Time for another update. I've been knocking out the buildings over the past couple of weeks. Started with the piping structures for the Generatorum Sector first. I already had one building done (the Manufactorum) and so I cracked open the Pegasus Hobbies Chemical Plant and Large Platformer kits to finish off that board section. I did not realize that there would be so...many...pieces...

It took two days of coming home after work of clipping and cleaning all the pieces off the sprue and gluing them together and bagging them up so pieces wouldn't get lost before I could finally get started on the actual assembly of the structure. I was originally going to go with build A but then realized it was too big for the base on the board section, so I came up with my own design for the Chemical Plant/Platformer mashup that did fit. Having a ton of left over bits from the Pegasus Hobby kits, I used an old Legions of Power tank that I had lying around and and the leftover bits to make a second structure for the board section.

With that section done, I started on the buildings for the Primus Sector and the Concourse Sector. I got all the buildings completed except for one for the Concourse Sector, as I ran out of parts for it. So, I made a bits order for the building parts that I need, and while I wait for those to arrive I will begin construction on the Shrine of the Reaper building.

I am also going to start painting the desert terrain that I got from Terranscapes. Hopefully I will have those and the Shrine of the Reaper done by next weekend.

Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm

W.I.P. Wednesday update for April 23, 2014.

With the board sections done, I went about spray painting them this weekend. For that I used a can of Liquitex Professional spray paint, the kind that doesn't melt foam!

After they were dry, I put on the base coat of paint for the streets, using some craft paint I picked up at Hobby Lobby. Most of the buildings are probably going to be a light gray, the sidewalks a cream color, and the streets a shade of gray, but darker than the buildings. I will go back over the street later with a highlight of gray.

So in my research for different images of the Forgeworld tiles I came across this site: http://thepaintingbunker.com/2013/02/

This guy bought the actual Forgeworld tiles, painted them up very nicely, and built and painted buildings for the tiles. One of the buildings he made was this one (the bigger one in the pic):

With a bunch of Basilica tiles on hand, I decided I wanted to make a building like that. I had run out of floor tiles when doing all my other buildings, so I ended up using thick plasticard and some doll house vinyl tile floor sheets from Hobby Lobby to make the floors of this building (as well as the floors for my Shrine of the Reaper). I made it modular so that the second floor could come off and models could be placed inside. I still need to build the piping that goes on top and add the communications array.

And now we come to the Shrine of the Reaper. Once again, I was inspired by an image I saw on the paintingbunker.com. This imagine, to be exact.

I originally thought this was going to be a hard build since I was replacing the Aquila with the Reaper from the Fortress of Redemption and would have to fill the gaps and do a lot of cutting and adjusting. Turns out it wasn't that hard after all. After gluing on the left and right wall sections to the Reaper section, I took a sheet of thick plasticard and placed it over the back of the Reaper section. I then cut out an arch that would lead to the doorway that is on the Reaper, added a doorway from the Sanctum Imperialis to represent the first floor entrance way,and added some other bits to blend it in with the rest of the walls. I will probably add some more detailing to this section later. With the front of the building complete, I then began adding the other walls and floors.

For stablility, I cut out a piece of thin plywood and glued that to a section of insulation foam, topping that with a vinyl sheet of doll house flooring, and then attached that to the walls of the building to be the first floor. For the large roof section, I again used plywood and then glued the vinyl flooring to it. I then added the top section and bell tower.

Now, on the paintingbunker's Shrine, there was something about his bell tower that seemed off to me. Not that he didn't do a great job, because his building is awesome, it just looks to me that if someone were to actually try to ring the bell there wouldn't be space for the bell to actually move because it is blocked in by the posts. I can see why he did his that way, as the arches aren't very long and by placing them in the position he did he was able to make them reach the center point where the bell was to hang from. For mine, I placed my posts in the corners of the tower and I used the top of a mausoleum from the Gardens of Morr kit to top off the tower. I used the bell from the Skaven Screaming Bell, and the bell anchors fit nicely inside the Garden of Morr bit. I shaved off the Skaven head and replaced it with some resin cast skulls, then positioned the bell as if it were in mid swing.

Well, that is all for this week. Hopefully by the next update I will have everything that has been built so far painted.

Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Wed May 14, 2014 8:28 pm

Time for another W.I.P. Wednesday update.

Finally, all major construction of the table is now complete. Only thing left to do is some detailing and painting. Over the past couple of weeks I have built the skyshield landing pad section and built the fortified wall.

Here is the skyshield section. I added a building to it and added some wall sections to the area underneath it to flesh it and the board section out a bit. I was inspired by this pic that I found on the web:

For my section, I added a toy crane that I had lying around in my bits box and some barrels and containers. I added magnets to the bottom of the crane and the base of the crane so that I could remove the crane for storage/transport and so that the crane could be repositioned. I also based the skyshield, barrels and crane on some hard board so that I could remove it from the styrofoam section and use it on other tables.

The fortified wall took the better part of a week to build in between work and sleep. It is made mostly from insulation foam, with some wood trim. It is 6 feet long and comes in 3 parts for easy storage and transport. It will rest upon three 2x2 foam tiles like the rest of the city board, but I am not gluing the walls to the 2x2 sections. In the background of the first pic is the city board.

The city gate. I have added some plasma cannons, assault cannons, and a hellhammer cannon that will be automated weapons.

Using magnets glued to the inside of the gate section and screws inserted into the top of the gate itself, I am able to raise and lower the gate as needed throughout the game.

I needed some doorways at various places on the walls and the gate, so I took a bastion that I had and some mold putty and made a mold of the bastion doorway. Then I cast several doorways and glued them on the walls and gate with a hot glue gun.

I also made a mold of the heavy bolters that come with the bastion kit and glued them to the wall sections as automated weapons.

With everything built, I now have 8 days to finish up all the painting before Nashcon begins...

Back to top Go down
twodogz79
Devil Dog

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Fri May 16, 2014 7:39 am

Dude. That Is. Awesome.
Back to top Go down
Mortis
The Dark Lord

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Fri May 23, 2014 2:09 pm

Last quick update before Nashcon. I was able to get the majority of everything painted. A few things will have to be touched up after Nashcon, but for now it is table ready!

Back to top Go down
twodogz79
Devil Dog

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Mortis, I have a link for you with a bunch of photos from NashCon. David Rabin's photos from NashCon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)   

Back to top Go down

The Road To Nashcon (Updated 5/23/2014)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1